The club was founded in 1950 under the name Al Najah Sports Club, which makes it the oldest sports club in Qatar. In 1972, Al Najah was merged with another local club under the current name, Al Ahli Sports Club. The first board of directors was formed with eight members, and the club’s colors were officially decided as green and white.
In the early nineties, under the presidency of Sheikh Khalid bin Ali Al Thani, the club was relegated to the second Division for the first time in its history.
The club only has won only one domestic trophy since its formation, the Emir Cup, which was won four times, including the very first competition held.