Qatar in Group D in 2021 Gold Cup
MIAMI, FLORIDA: Debutants Qatar will face off Honduras, Grenada and Panama in the 2021 Gold Cup.
Concacaf conducted the draw to determine the group stage for the 2021 Gold Cup, set to begin July 10, 2021 in the United States.
Before the draw, the 4 winners of the League A groups in Concacaf Nations League were pre-seeded into groups: Mexico in Group A, the USMNT in Group B, Costa Rica in Group C, and Honduras in Group D. Qatar, who is participating in the Gold Cup as an honorary invitee from Concacaf, was also pre-assigned out of Pot 4 to Group D with Honduras. Qatar, also scheduled to compete in next summer’s rescheduled Copa América, are the seventh nation to participate as a guest in the Gold Cup, after Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, South Africa, and South Korea.
The Gold Cup Group Stage, kicking off on July 10, 2021, will consist of a total of 16 nations:
- 8 teams: Winners and runners-up from each of the four groups in Concacaf Nations League A
- 4 teams: Winners from each of the four groups in Concacaf Nations League B
- 3 teams: Preliminary stage qualifiers (see Prelims matchups below)
- 1 team: Asian Cup champions Qatar as guest from Asian Football Confederation
The draw determined the composition of each of the four groups consisting of four nations each:
- Group A: Mexico, El Salvador, Curacao, Winner Prelims #9
- Group B: USA, Canada, Martinique, Winner Prelims #7
- Group C: Costa Rica, Jamaica, Suriname, Winner Prelims #8
- Group D: Honduras, Panama, Grenada, Qatar
The Gold Cup Final will be played on August 1, 2021. Venues, kickoff times and a schedule for the full tournament will be announced in the coming months.